- How to connect iPhone to VirtualBox
- The advantages of connecting an iPhone to VirtualBox with dedicated software
How to connect iPhone to VirtualBox
So, you decided to connect your iPhone to VirtualBox guest but found that it is not as simple as just plugging the device into your host machine once your VM is running. The good news: in this article, I’ll tell you about an easy way to set up USB passthrough in VirtualBox using either the native method or dedicated software.
The native method to provide access to an iPhone for a VirtualBox Guest
There are many reasons why you might need to use your iPhone with VirtualBox. Whether you are going to back up some data, or transfer files the first thing you should do is install the latest version of VirtualBox and its guest additions on a guest operating system running on Linux or Windows. Next, you need to install the VirtualBox extension pack.
Now the iPhone appears in the Device Manager of the guest OS, and you can easily transfer any data in and out over a VirtualBox to iPhone connection.
Note: You can establish a connection to your iPhone from one guest OS at a time.
Alternative solution: efficient USB redirector software
As we know, many virtualization apps do not provide USB support out of the box. If VirtualBox does not recognize your USB connection, you can resort to the help of a dedicated software tool called USB Network Gate. This solution allows redirecting an iPhone, iPad or any other USB device to virtually any VM. It works perfectly well with VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V, and others.
USB Redirection software uses advanced port redirection technology that allows forwarding USB peripherals to a virtual environment. The software lets you establish secure connections to remote devices over LAN and the Internet.
In order to implement USB redirection to VirtualBox with no limitations, just do the following:
Now, the device will be connected to your VirtualBox as though you physically attached it to the guest OS.
Video Tutorial to redirect iPhone to VirtualBox
The advantages of connecting an iPhone to VirtualBox with dedicated software
If you are looking for a way to enable VirtualBox for iPhone connectivity, I’d recommend you to entrust this task to a solution that is proven to be efficient in redirecting USB devices to virtual machines. USB Network Gate by Electronic Team, Inc. is known for its reliability and stability. Connecting your iPhone to VirtualBox with this dedicated software has many advantages. These include:
- The simplicity of use. You can share your iPhone and connect to it from a guest OS with nothing more than a couple of clicks.
- Advanced encryption algorithm. You can be sure that the connection you establish between an iPhone and a virtual machine is reliably protected from unauthorized access.
- The speed of data transfer. You’ll be able to work with a remote device just as if it were a physical connection.
- Cross-platform compatibility. USB Network Gate gives you a way to create cross-platform connections between Windows, Linux, and Mac platforms.
- Any virtual machines. This tool will let you share USB devices with not only VirtualBox but many other virtualization apps, etc.