Share external hard drive over network in just a couple of steps:
- Download and install the app - on a computer to which a device is to be connected and all machines that need access to the device.
- Connect a drive to the computer via USB port.
- Launch USB Network Gate and share hard drive over network via its interface.
With USB Network Gate you will be able to share any USB device on Windows 10 and below, Mac, Android and Linux.
These are the main advantages offered by the app:
Share storage through a high-speed USB cable
You can share USB external hard drive over network with the help of a high-speed USB cable. USB 2.0 solution provides the following functionality:
The solution is compliant with USB specification v. 1.1 and 2.0.
Overall, USB 2.0 seems to be a good solution to share USB drive over network, but since you are limited by the cable’s length, it is unlikely you can use it for sharing data between multiple computers that are not located in proximity to each other.
How to share USB hard drive over Wi-Fi
One more way to share USB storage is to map it as a network external hard drive over Wi-Fi.
- First locate it in the router settings – open a browser on a computer connected to a Wi-Fi network, type in the router’s IP address, it usually has a format like 192.168.1.1.
- Login using your credentials, go to Settings and find ‘Drive storage’ tab or section. Right-click on the drive you need and choose ‘Map network drive’ in the context menu displayed.
- Give your drive a name to identify it easier, and check ‘Reconnect at sign-in’ option.
- Once you are done with the setup, click ‘Finish’. You might have to restart your PC or laptop to see the storage drive.
This solution is quite convenient and requires no cables or additional hardware, but it is limited by the network availability, unlike Electronic Team, Inc. software solution – it allows you to share external hard drive over Ethernet, Internet and other networks. You are not restricted to the area covered by Wi-Fi signal.
All said and done, our take would be USB Network Gate. This seems to be the most convenient way to access remote USB external drive as it is not restricted to the network area and does not require additional equipment.
How can you share an external hard drive over the network on Windows 10?
To share your external hard drive on Windows 10, take the following steps:
- Connect the device to your Windows computer via a USB port. Make sure this PC is always turned on.
- Click Start and select Computer. You should see the hard drive in the window that will open.
- Right-click on the device and select Share with > Advanced sharing.
- In the Properties window, choose the Sharing tab and click the Advanced Sharing button.
- Check the box Share this folder. Hit the Add button and type the name of the drive you would like to share.
- Click Permissions.
- In the invoked window select the option Everyone to make the drive available for access from any computer connected to the network.
- Then, check to Allow next to Full Control, Change and Read options.
- Finally, click Apply and then click OK to finish with the Sharing settings
- Click Close to exit the Advanced Sharing window.
That’s it! Now, your external hard drive is shared over the network.
There are several simple ways to connect an external hard drive to Ethernet.
The first one is connecting your device to a router via a USB port. All you need to do is plug the hard drive into the wall outlet and then connect the device to the router.
If your hard drive has its own Ethernet port, you can connect the device to the network directly. Simply plug the hard drive into its power supply, connect the device to the router using an Ethernet cable, and you’re done. Now your hard drive will be available for remote connections over the network.
Finally, if your hard drive does not support network connectivity or you are not able to connect it to the router, you can share a hard drive with the help of USB Network Gate. Just connect an external drive to your computer via USB and use USB Network Gate to remotely access your external drive.
Connect External Hard Drive over router
If you are looking for a way to attach an external hard disk to the home router and use it as a part of your home network, here are several useful tips.
Portable hard drives can communicate with mobile phones, tablets, and WiFi-enabled laptops directly with built-in Wi-Fi support. So, you can buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device with a built-in network card or opt for a WiFi router with a USB port. This USB port can be used to connect the external hard disk so that it can be shared over the home network.